With the release of any new gadget you can expect a slew of videos to hit YouTube, some providing a simple unboxing, others amateur reviews of the product, while a third category of masochists now make a living by smashing up smartphones and tablets just minutes after they've been unwrapped. But now, the gadgets are starting to fight back, as the chap in this video discovers.

While smashing a Samsung Galaxy S5 with a hammer to test its resilience, the a chemical reaction causes the battery to inflate, then rocket off screen, spraying its hazardous contents across the room and causing the unlucky YouTuber to start chocking on the fumes.

We wouldn't advise deliberately damaging any gadget, whether its spanking new or old and decrepit, because this kind of thing could happen to you too. But watching misfortune befall a stranger on the internet is perfectly acceptable.